Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Forever Free : Show Me The Badfish

I didn't watch Bush's 6th and what I understand to be final State of The Union address lasterday... I've been sick with a bit of flu, and i'm pretty sure watching even 60 seconds of his neo-con moral highground grabbing & patriotic pandering, with the scent of charred bodies ala Bagdhad cooking in his backstage pot woulda set me into a puking fit.

But I read some comments in the Democrat rebuttal by newly elected VA Sen. Jim Webb that I thought I'd share...

"

Regarding the economic imbalance in our country, I am reminded of the situation President Theodore Roosevelt faced in the early days of the 20th century. America was then, as now, drifting apart along class lines. The so-called robber barons were unapologetically raking in a huge percentage of the national wealth. The dispossessed workers at the bottom were threatening revolt.

Roosevelt spoke strongly against these divisions. He told his fellow Republicans that they must set themselves "as resolutely against improper corporate influence on the one hand as against demagogy and mob rule on the other." And he did something about it.

As I look at Iraq, I recall the words of former general and soon-to-be President Dwight Eisenhower during the dark days of the Korean War, which had fallen into a bloody stalemate. "When comes the end?" asked the General who had commanded our forces in Europe during World War Two. And as soon as he became President, he brought the Korean War to an end.

These Presidents took the right kind of action, for the benefit of the American people and for the health of our relations around the world. Tonight we are calling on this President to take similar action, in both areas. If he does, we will join him. If he does not, we will be showing him the way.

"


You know Webb, the guy who ran against incumbent bigot George Allen last year, and all he had to do to win was stand back and watch Allen implode.

Not only does Webb invoke the patron saint of Democrats: FDR, and the last decent & truthful Republican President in history, Gen. Eisenhower, but, I also like the pushy intonations of his last sentence. It strikes me like a bit of vintage Frampton when he had his lion mane going...

We'll Show You The Way...


Here's now baldy Peter in a semi-recent appearance jamming with Ringo & friends a few years back on one of his late 70's multiplatinum classix...


Peter Frampton w/ Ringo Starr's All Star Band - Show Me The Way




Speaking of classic rock, this next track is a cover of probably my favorite Sublime song, Bradley's vocal always employed the right amount of pathos with his punky reggae party 'tude and this track has long burned a hole in my heart.

I helped record some bonus live material that was released on the Badfish EP when the band was still together, and damn, I had a lot of fun hanging round their van bound vortex back in the day. It still hurts when I think of what a senseless loss Brad was, and how his substance abuse issues couldn't override "All The Love That He Found..."

Here is a semi-obscure cover version of Badfish by a band around before Sublime ever got really rolling No Use for A Name. Despite my never being much a fan of NUFAN and my fears of them ruining a fave, I found it ain't half bad...

I don't care which Shifflet is wringin' the neck of the guitar, it still hits the spot, especially when they drop the pop punk veneer for a few precious seconds during the break.

It comes from one of the many tribute discs floating about, tributes that generally do little to really satisfy the demand for Sublime's millions of converts in the almost 11 years since Brad's death in May 1996...

The bands fans grew to include everyone from Hulk Hogan to numerous 4th wave punk/ska acts like Slightly Stoopid, and Spunge.

No Use For A Name - Badfish


Forever Free, A Sublime Tribute Album

from the CD Forever Free, A Sublime Tribute Album


available via Baseline Records

No comments: