Saturday, May 24, 2008

Road Worn and Weekend Whatnot




I was in Los Angeles earlier this week,( actual photographic proof seen here in this pic on the Hermosa pier). You can spend a lot of time driving around on the freeway trying not to be horribly annoyed by their heinously "hip" corporate radio. The few minutes I interrupted my own musical choices to listen to the pandering pablum on the airwaves felt like hours. I was quickly inundated with with lousy Linkin Park soundalike atrocities until I was forced to keep the FM on permanent hiatus.

Fortunately I was stock piling music for the long drive up the I-5 and had some self selected tunes to ease the monotony...



So in honor of the fact I made it home (even after the car's ignition failure outside of some sad lil lonely burg named Lost Hills...)

Here's some songs I either listened to or purchased out on there on lonely road to and from nowhere...

The list will get longer as I have time, but here's a few to get this party started...

I heard this track pop up in the CD rotator as the signs for $5 diesel whizzed by out the side windows, I imagined how expensive it must be just to keep a band on the road this summer. I've had this album since it came out circa 1982, and this is from a newly remastered edition of Diary of A Madman that I scored in a Modesto strip mall on a trip a few years ago. I love how the the first three tracks in a row still just sail into the stratosphere like few albums ever...


There's only 8 songs in total, but when ya throw down three totally timeless and still fresh sounding hard rock classics in the first 15 minutes, it's plenty of punch to offer the punters. The mighty "Flying High Again" starts things off with a massive head banging, fist pumping fury, followed by the monumental stomper "Over The Mountain", and then there's this next lil' anthem. For some reason this melancholy meandering mellow metal classic with it's screaming Randy Rhodes solo and seven minutes of balladeering is never far from my heart...

It may sound cheesy, but Ozzy's usually right, and it's decades later and you still can't kill rock n roll, and it is really my official religion and my law... now get out of the fast lane if yer still reading the map...

Ozzy Osbourne - You Can't Kill Rock And Roll




I was startled to come across this next oldie but goodie still in the shrinkwrap at a flea market somewhere between Bellflower and Paramount, and while I prefer Joe Jackson's 1980 original, this version from the Persistence Of Time album in 1990 by Anthrax ain't half bad either...

Especially if yer pickin' up speed on the 10 on an overpass above a huge line of losers trying to get into a taping of American Idol ...

Anthrax - Got the Time

Here's one from the excellent casually corrupted country music makin' fool known as Mr Jesse Dayton. He totally won me over after I caught him opening for The Supersuckers several years back, and I can't ever seem to get enough of his shtick.

This tune is in fact a Supersuckers cover, and this bastard son of George Jones sponges it up and squeezes it out perfectly. This was off his self released South Austin Sessions collection on his Stag label, but he's got lots of other great stuff out you should dig into if yer curious.

Jesse Dayton - Road Worn & Weary

I see he's out and about playing shows with Mike Ness everywhere but here, and all over Texas as usual, and he's even got his Mexican vacation gig in Puerta Vallarta all booked up as well.

Looks like he'll be playing in California at the Ink & Iron Festival on the Queen Mary in Long Beach in early June. That's fine & dandy if yer a tatoo sporting So Cal creep, but I haven't pounded shots with him here in San Francisco since Thee Parkside changed ownership awhile back and he was likely banned for life...

Anyhow, if ya see him ... tell him I'm holdin' my own out here, but I miss him and this shit has to be reconciled... or else...

see ya laters kids...

No comments: