Thursday, August 09, 2007

Road to Pepperland

I hate to disappoint the 1600 or so lost souls that stop by in a given day at this URL but folks, I'm outta here this weekend, and on the road to Pepperland. I don't mean the land of those delicious New Mexico green chiles either.

I'll have a bit of net access here and there I suppose from hotels & whatnot, but don't count on any dastardly daily updates until I venture back north.

I'll be heading down to La La Landia, and on the agenda is my 1st visit to it's renowned Hollywood Bowl to catch a show by quite possibly my fave band over the past 30 years, Cheap Trick.




It ain't just any show though, it's the 40th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...and Nielsen, Petersen, Zander and Bun E Carlos will be kicking out those particular Beatles tunes with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. The venue opened in 1922, and when full like this weekend's shows, holds about 18,000 people.


All the good up front, & box type seats were taken, but I'm sure I'll be happy just to be there in my bench seat at the venerable Hollywood Bowl...







So for all of ye here today, while I'm brushing up on my Pepper knowledge, in honor of this road trip, I'll toss in some Beatles related rarities, some Beatles cover tunes and mash ups...and mixed in are a smattering of random road songs to tide thee over until my return...


Amongst the other special guests helping bring this landmark album back to life include Joan Osbourne, Aimee Mann and Ministry's Al Jourgensen. Jourgensen will join Cheap Trick onstage at the Hollywood Bowl on August 10 and 11 to perform the Beatles' "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," considered by many to be among the most complex songs recorded by the Fab Four. One of the other guest vocalists is Ian Ball of Gomez.

You may recall their Beatles cover tune was their version of "Getting Better", part of a popular tv commercial used by electronics giant Phillips in 1999.

Gomez - Getting Better



DJ Scott Westerman - Sgt. Pepper's US Radio Ad For 1967 Album Release


While I'm fairly familiar with the Sgt. Pepper's concept LP, I don't think I actually ever owned a copy. I better brush up on the track listings I suppose...

Maybe the folks in this next LA newsclip clip can help us remember it properly...



The Beatles - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ( rare alt mix )

The Beatles - Octopus's Garden (LOVE Version)
[from George Martin's Cirque De Soleil remixed collection "The Beatles - Love" Cd 2006]



The Beatles vs Blondie - Dj Lobsterdust's Glass Octopus

Adrian Belew - I'm Down[ from: Adrian Belew - Desire Of The Rhino King]

Astrobleme - When I'm Sixty Four


Unite The Beastie Boys & Beatles - Cosmo Kramer United Paperback Mix

Paul McCartney - Nod Your Head
[From McCartney's new solo album]







Amos Milburn - Down The Road A Piece

Bob Marley & The Wailers - And I Love Her[ from the Bob Marley & The Wailers: Studio One Sessions ]

Bon Jovi - Lost Highway[ [from: Lost Highway]

Buju Banton - Not An Easy Road [from the album Buju Banton Til Shiloh]

Cheap Trick - Daytripper ( live )
[from CD / DVD : Cheap Trick Silver]



The Crosstops - road boner blues>[ [from: The Crosstops - Cloverleaf Fandango ]

Dolly Parton - Help!>[ [ from: Dolly Parton - Great Balls Of Fire]>

The Doors - Queen of The Highway [ from Rhino's compilation "The Doors : Essential Rarities"]

The Duals - Stickshift

Fleetwood Mac w/ Christine Perfect - No Road Is The Right Road [from : Fleetwood Mac- Albatross]

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Born to Run mp3 ripped from an old 12" single B side, but now also remastered & included on the ZTT retrospective that eMusic has for download as well "Bang!... The Greatest Hits Of Frankie Goes To Hollywood"

Alpha One ThreeJah Wobble - "On The Right Road" (mp3)
[from "Alpha One Three"
by Jah Wobble]
(30 Hertz Records)
Download more at iTunes Music Store
Buy at eMusic
Buy at Napster
More On This Album



Lowell Folson - Why Don't We Do It In The Road

Claudine Longet - When I'm Sixty Four

Rita Lee - With A Little Help From My Friends[From Best of Rita Lee


Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - The Road to Rock & Roll
[from Joe's first Hellcat release: Rock Art and the X-Ray Style]

Loo & Placido's - Black Beatles ( vs BEP, Ludicris & Kelis )


that sure seems like a lot of tunes to tide ya over...



but I'll toss in a few more...

but that's it ya greedy punters


Ditch Diggin' "My House Has Wheels" (mp3)
from "Ditch Diggin'"
by Southern Culture on the Skids
(Safe House)
Download more tracks at iTunes Music Store
Buy at DownloadPunk


Voicedude - Falling In September [ Beatles vs Earth, Wind & Fire]



Wille Nelson - One After 909 [from: Come Together - America Salutes The Beatles - released on Capitol in 1995 ]




Robert Mitchum - Ballad of Thunder Road

Alice Cooper & The Bee Gees - Because The World Is Round

Bill Cosby - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [from : Wonderfulness on Warner Bros. Records 1967]

The Pete Best Combo - Rock N Roll Music
[from: The Pete Best Combo - Beyond The Beatles 1964-66]

Anyhow...

Enjoy yer weekend y'all...

No comments: