Thursday, June 05, 2008

Crash Premonition Data Disaster Mix

It's been a trying week for Windows and me

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare (live)



During the course of attempting to burn some routine and suggested "Backup Discs" for my lately unstable year and a half old HP laptop, I came upon a missing Hal.DLL layer error...

Armored Saint - Unstable




After spending a few days in DOS hell trying to poke around, recoup, learn and wonder...

Foo Fighters - Long Road To Ruin



The next thing ya know, and using the tips helpfully supplied by HP and the $30 recovery disc set they charged me for, I ended up destroying all my stored data.

So not only was I was unable to restore my operating system partition, but a good year and a half of data was lost...countless hours of whatnot.

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

I'd have a funeral for these bits and bytes... but fuck If I even know what the proper ritual should be...

I was feeling kinda sick to my stomach about this, but was grateful and took some solace that I at least had my 500 gig backup drive working...

Sure the ol bitty had lost most of it's installed software,personal files, settings etc

But at least we were up and booted, and given a few hours of tinkering things could be working eventually...

Compute - Brand New Start (hageus mix)

But on Thursday, while this agonizing process was happening, some clod hopper dusting the living room knocked my backup drive to the floor... and then I lost everything...


Thursday - The Other Side Of The Crash (demo)

the last thing I saw was an error message and I went to pick up the drive off the hardwood and it would only make a whirring buzzing sound...

There went everything...

All the remaining files I had managed to back up that weren't destroyed off the laptop were on that drive... and it was now dead...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU****************************************KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!


There goes my ability to earn a living this summer...

and 40,000 song music collection, video files, personal photos, work projects etc

Oh Well...


The Honorary Title - Everything I Once Had


The Cowboy Junkies - A Common Disaster ( live 1996 Vancouver)

Soon - Everything's Ruined


Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch



Gwen Stefani crash instrumental




Vector Lovers - Crash Premonition



Skin Contact - Reset (System Crash Mix)

Guess I'll go get fucked up...

nice...

There aren't a whole lotta other options on my list...

It's just where... i've got an invite to a house party down south a few miles in Pacifica, and another to a punk show right here in the city...

I think I'm probably safer on my own turf, less commute issues...


See ya in da pit...


but I will say this before I go...


This kind of disaster/problem is not for the faint hearted...



Seems every 500 days or so ( sometimes less ) I lose everything and have to start over...

But two catastrophic data deletions in one day is a bit much...

I keep comparing & contrasting and buying windows machines and keep getting spanked...

I know the Apple faithful are chomping at the bit to say I told you so...

But I can't join their cult just yet, especially when I'm always a grand or so shy of their glory...

Windows toys always seem cheaper, and perhaps because Bill Gates was the only guy to send me a Christmas card one year...maybe i'm sentimental.

So I guess I'll keep plugging along...

or unplug this pesky beast and get my ass outside...

i'ts beer thirty-ish for sure

Kraftwerk - Home Computer (live)

Fall Out Boy - You're Crashing But You're No Wave

Taking Back Sunday - Your Own Disaster

From Autumn To Ashes - I'm The Best At Ruining My Life

Donnie Iris - Do You Compute?





No comments: