Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Fat Farewell Mix - a buncha stuff for y'all while I'm in Florida

I'm taking off for a week to Florida, alas I won't be frigging "blogging"...

I'll be getting lost in the rent a car, getting sunburned, cruising Alligator Alley & The Deco District & having allergic reactions to stone crab...

but if ya need to find me,
look for me on Collins Ave in South Beach at this joint...


The Mercury Resort
photo


here enjoy some key sunny summer vacation mix tracks



some links are yer right click & save stylee but a few are hosted remotely via
SaveFile.com



first up, we'll start mellow before we Rawk!:
 I came to say you that I from go away

Serge Gainsbourg - Je suis venu te dire que je m'en vais.mp3

I came to say that I must go away, a melancholy lil' track from '73

Paul Oakenfold vs Harry Nilsson - Starry Eyed Surprise.mp3

An inspired remix by DJ Sandstorm of Paul Oakenfold's Starry Eyed Surprise mixing in more of John Lennon drinking buddy Harry Nilsson's version of olkster Fred Neil's song "Everybody's Talking" mae famous on the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack. I play this sometimes when I'm bartending and find that the old timer's can dig it too! Perfect for gearing up for a lil' Miami nightclub trek.

Alex H - Minnie the Mod.mp3

a great mash up DJ mix with bits of Moby, some Toms Diner by Suzanne Vega and guest appearances by The Beatles, Bowie , Cab Calloway and even Pink Floyd !

Black Eyed Peas - Hey Mama

A dancehall blast from Will.I.Am's crew featuring guest Tippa Irie

Small Faces - All Or Nothing.mp3

I first heard this song in 1985 as a cover on the Ain't Love Grand album by X (produced by current Mr. Shania Twain himself and knob twiddler extraordinaire Mutt Lange. I fell in love with the epic chorus and plaintive wailing of a classic structured pop tune instantly. I used to sing along with the X version driving with Caroleenof
Waycross when we were squirrely teenagers on our way to hardcore punk shows in DC. At the time I had no idea who the mysterious Marriott in the credits was, but , hey times change and I'm now a big Small Faces fan. In fact one of these days I'll post a dangerously bloated history full of trivia and anecdotes about this key group's legacy. For now just download enjoy this track from the 60's as a segue into our next blast...

Cheap Trick - Southern Girls ( Albini mix).mp3

The boys from Rockford apparently recut tracks from their classic In Color album decades later with Steve Albini at the helm. This is the new mix of Southern Girls, which reatins the exhuberance of the original but features a more meaty guitar sound. Vocalist Robin Zander, now a resident of Clearwater Florida, as usual just sounds as great as ever . This has to be one of my all time fave tunes... and having lived south of the Mason-Dixon line, believe it boys.

Fastbacks - Go All The Way.mp3

A crunchy cover version of a creepy Eric Carmen hit from his 70's stint with the Raspberries , replete with charmingly off key warbled female vocals from these Seattle pop stalwarts. I had this on a cassette promo I picked up from Nils Bernstein at the Sub Pop suite in the St. Francis hotel at the Gavin Convention circa 1992. Kurt Bloch once told Magnet why he chose to cover this song.

“Go All The Way,” Raspberries
When it came out, there was nothing more kickass. It was louder than anything else and cooler. By ‘76 and ‘77, everyone started looking for scarce copies of Big Star and Badfinger, but “Go All The Way” was never really usurped as the reigning champion. Still have my 45, still sounds great at DJ night, a little worn—but it gets the job done every time.

Thanx Kurt for the tale... and now for the next cut

The Tears- Refugees.mp3

a swarthy glittering glam-tastic current track from the rehabbed & revamped Anderson & Butler, (the reunited duo behind the late brit pop sensations Suede). The UK group have a website at TheTears.org

Hot Hot Heat - Goodnight Goodnight

The poppy darlings of British Columbia do the corporate rock shuffle over from Sub Pop into official parent company Warner Music status with their current Sire release, and throw a farewell lullabye into our mix session


They & I now bid you adieu for a week or so ...




pssst...if you want to easily upload & share some files try a new site called
SaveFile

No comments: