Sunday, July 15, 2007

All Stars, Amigos & Mutantes & My Usual Meandering

Groovy greetings and happy mid july to you...

I last posted up here over the July 4th weekend... and have dutifully returned with some new things to add to my random rants...

last weekend i managed to catch a few minutes of the "live earth" event, but had heard almost nil about it until it was half over...

if you want to spend 60 seconds reviewing it...it should suffice, as this snarky MTV news blip does




Here's a sonic submission that's circulating from one of the world's most well known acts that can sell in the mighty mega millions for some reason, mostly marketing I suppose ...

I gotta at least give Madonna credit for sharing the international spotlite with Ukranian gypsys flavored punkers Gogol Bordello on stage...

Here's Madge doing her costom crafted Live Earthy tune Hey You... only prob is it ain't super catchy, maybe Madonna has been working more on her upcoming documentary about Malawi, the country she recently had a controversial adoption experience in than her music...

you decide:

Madonna - Hey You


Also last week, San Francisco where I live was invaded by Major League Baseball's All Star game hoopla...and I, being in the event logistics biz was part of it as well...

I was involved in distributing approx 50,000 free samples of a well known soft drink company's products in collectable & not so collectable bottles and cans. In fact I got so involved, I barely escaped getting my foot crushed by an 800 lb palate of cans while loading a forklift during the game in fact...

The night before the game, the event company I helped co-found was also involved in providing some glam & glitter to Barry Bonds' & rapper/Def Jam CEO Jay-Z's party at a South of Market club we do work for...

Barry is standing on our EventMagic red carpet in this video...



it was last used for this event...


 
Posted by Picasa



anyhow... that situation kept me busy and away from the web and now I return to hoist some music up the bandwidth yer way

First up... speaking of All Stars... here's a video i shot and edited with some pals of our pals the Long Beach Dub All Stars awhile back in 2001...

They were out and about promoting their then brand new Dreamworks release Wonders of The World in a concert we shot live in San Francisco 9/15/2001 at the late great Maritime Hall venue.




Hey I know, lemme drop in some tracks from a boisterous band I'll be catching later today...

Some Brazilian wunderkinds of 40 years back, that being Os Mutantes...It's mainly down ro the two Dias brothers who are obviously older these days, but still having a good time and spreading fresh psychedelic sounds across the planet. I saw 'em last year at The Fillmore, and today's gig is outdoors...and will no doubt be much well lit, likely crowded, and perhaps even livelier...

So I better finish this post so I can get out the door to the Stern Grove Festival in time ...

We'll start with a lo fi sorta soundtrack clip from a Brazilian tv show back in 1969 with Gilberto Gil along for the ride...

Os Mutantes - Domingo No Parque

Here's a better quality audio track from their official greatest hits collection released above the equator on David Byrne's Luaka Bop. This is a real crowd pleaser and gets into that psychedelic mood nicely, I believe the loose translation of the title is "I Feel A Little Spaced Out"...

Os Mutantes - Ando Meio Desligado


And lastly from Os Mutantes here's a remixed version of a fave, can't quite recall when and where I grabbed this...but I believe it's an "unauthorized" remix by English Mash maestro Jools MF...

Os Mutantes - Umbabarauma

Opening the show will be fellow Luaka Bop act Los Amigos Invisibles from Venezuela...

just to be fair...I'll drop a couple of their jazzy-delic latinized tracks in here for ya...

Los Amigos Invisbles - Las Lycras del Avila

Los Amigos Invisibles - Diablo
The New Sound of the Venezuelan Gozadera



Download "Las Lycras del Avila"
(mp3)
from "The New Sound of the Venezuelan Gozadera"
by Los Amigos Invisibles
Luaka Bop

More On This Album



The Venezuelan Zinga Son Vol. 1

Download "Diablo" (mp3)
from "The Venezuelan Zinga Son Vol. 1"
by Los Amigos Invisibles
Luaka Bop

More On This Album


Looks like Prince may not get the chart push he's hoped for this weekend when his album is released as part of a promotion in the UK's Daily Mail newspaper.

Sure enough, the disc will be tacked onto the cover of the sunday paper and move well over 2 million copies... only that he'll not be included as a sale on the popcharts. The latest on this promo ploy below...



me I'm fairly behind the Prince times... have lotsa of his older stuff, scored 3121 within a few weeks of it's release last time around, but just got a copy of 2004's Musicology last week...

Here's a track from some classic Prince from a live show in Stockholm circa 1986 while I wait to taste the latest offering landing on Brit doorsteps today...


Prince - I Would Die 4 U

2 comments:

batgrrlnyc said...

Thanks for the mp3! I'm seeing Os Mutantes on Tuesday, at Lincoln Center, of all places. Can't wait!

Maestro Billy said...

Hi there!
SFTMCHN, a brazilian duo, just made a mashup of Datarock's Fa-fa-fa with Mutantes Ando Meio Desligado. You can check it @ http://www.maestrobilly.com/podcast/mutantes-vs-datarock-ando-meio-fa-fa-fa/
Best regards.