Sunday, August 20, 2006

Tonight ! Zolar X, Thor & Boyjazz = Stank On The Halo &

note: For diehard readers, this post may seem a bit of a rehashtrostophe , so please understand, this is my first entry as an official SF Metroblogger. I had to annoint some Bay Area folks to the glory that is happening tonight in Oaktown, and thought digging up some of my previous verbiage on Zolar X, just might do the trick. As an avid and some might say voluntarily rabid over communicator, I feel ready to accept the challenge of providing relevant Bay Area-centric info to local Metroblog readers, and if that is ok with you... I included some cool new tuneage downloads for y'all as well, so no whining y'all.



If you are a fan of mythic metallic Norse warriors, cranky Canadian political punk rock, or crazed tin foil hat outerspace bred Glam Rock Sci-Fi creepos ... maybe you need to board a space age Bart train to the easily accessible 14th St stop in Oakland tonight ...as destiny awaits at the top of the stairs at The Golden Bull.

You'll be able to slink in & catch the mighty Thor , the space glam of Zolar X. the cranky Canadian's of The Martyr Index and likely other stuff too...perhaps even a disease!

It's Maybe The Craziest Golden Bull Gala Dive Bar Sunday Night Show Biz Extravaganza Awards Cup Of All Time...a musical event perhaps on par with a live performance of Ziggy Stardust battling Conan The Barbarian whilst Capt. Kirk seeks nubile space ho's on one of his " tang" seeking benders...

Don't Miss Out ...It's like cartoons come to life, but louder! Maybe you just want to drop less than $10 & see something beyond memorable, drink cheap beer in a dingy classic O-town club and rock out with yer space cock or clit out...

This show is all about a freakishly entertaining night of exceeding & leaving behind all that's wrong in rock & roll these days, which makes this event my pick of the night by far... be there! (or be at home laming out & way into yer I-pod or whatever it is you really care about it...)

Maybe you should attend this awesome event just because you know you don't have the dough saved up to catch Venom & High On Fire at the corporate rock palace known as The Fillmore this week in SF.

I'm not even gonna go on & on about Thor... why hould I, a picture is worth at least a thousand beer burps...



I believe that the SF Weekly even mentioned his mythic metal stature not so long ago...or I guess it was just last summer when he played 12 Galaxies.

and I could give a rats buttocks about some opening bands we are all destined to miss tonight, so I'm gonna do my best to just annoint ye dear readers to the magic space presence of Zolar X ( some mp3'z included, so get clickin')...

The good news for you curious potential Zolar X fans is that they play early, so you can be heading home to be tucked into your oxygen tents way before Thor throws his final fiery lightning hammers in your direction...





Last summer I stumbled unwittingly upon Zolar X... I guess I'm late to the Zolar X party, since it started somewhere in the 70's, but it was all new to me.

I first knew something was up that fateful night when I saw Jello Biafra pacing nervously in the corridors of The Great American Music Hall.
I doubted he was there to catch the 70's boogie rock derivative opening act, as one could feel him cringing at every nascent noodley note from across the hall.

Then I spotted the odd geometric reject shaped oversize amps coated in extra terrestrial blinkers ( or at least some kinda cheesy rope lighting )

Biafra took the stage and explained how he found their early out of print recordings in the bargain bin at Aquarius years ago and sought out the masters for an Alternative Tentacles reissue. Then, out popped some dudes with bad blonde Spock haircuts shaped into pointy forehead peaks. They kicked into a poppy glam sound reminiscent of the Undertones popping pills with Alice Cooper in the parking lot of a Battlestar Galactica fandom convention. They made a din that was vintage Ziggy Stardust meets Sweet in ridiculous spandex jumpsuits with glitter puff cuffs.

Apparently these guys were regulars on the Sunset Strip @ Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco back in the 1970's. They gigged with Jobriath, the NY Dolls and had fans like Lenny Kaye, Red Kross & Ace Frehley and have been waiting in stoic frozen fashion for the limelight to return them to early earthly glory...

I can say after their first SF show in 20 + years, it was deliciously dorky and left me feeling so so strange I had to ooze out the door before the encore. The eeriest bit of all for me was when the cute young girl swigging from an illicit brown bagged bottle in the front near the PA stacks tapped me on the shoulder & asked how I was related to freaky space age Zolar X frontman Ygarr Ygarris.

Uh, I do not know darling... but maybe the answer is in the music...

mp3 downloads linked below

Zolar X - Timeless


TIMELESS
(Music and Lyrics by SDB. Lead vocals: Ygarr)

I'm caught in time, so I'm imprisoned.
The tick of time goes on on and on.
Time will never wait for you.
Life is short and time takes it away.
I want to be Timeless.
I would like to live with infinity.
Sail on ships through timeless seas.
Never grow old live for eternity.
I wish this for you, I wish this for me.


Zolar X - Jetstar 19

Jet Star 19.
It's a power packed, fiber wedged,
a dune surfers dream!
Jet Star 19.


Zolar X - Silver Shapes

Look-up look high, look-up to the sky. [repeat]
Silver Shapes in the sky, Silver Shapes in the sky. [repeat]0
ELEE VOW KARDOMVOU, ELEE OKK NEBBULOR. [repeat].


more Zolar X at this web link

The facts as I understand them

Tonight : SUNDAY, AUGUST 20TH
Alcoholocaust Presents

THOR (The Legendary Rock Warrior - from Vancouver, Canada)
Thor Central

Thor - Darkmaster Theme

ZOLAR X (from Zolaria City, Plutonia aka L.A dude !)
Zolar X

THE MARTYR INDEX (Social / Political punk band from Calgary, Canada)
Martyr Index .com also http://www.myspace.com/themartyrindex

BOYJAZZ - don't know much, but delightfully glammy & apparently worthy of an MTV Road Rules soundtrack appearance
Boy Jazz

also try http://www.myspace.com/boyjazz

a BoyJazz mp3 fer your approval
BoyJazz - Stank On The Halo

plus yer man on the wheels of steak

D.J. ISAAC OWEN MONEY
http://www.myspace.com/isaacowenmoney

Doors open at 6pm / Show at 7pm
$7.00 Admission / 21+

note: Scott's Alcoholocaust shows in Oaktown get over before the last Bart train leaves, so commuters can feel free to attend from wherever in the Bay & enjoy...

see ya there

No comments: