Monday, July 17, 2006

Strange Things Happening Everyday

Yo

Haven't Updated Since I Hit The Road to Ruin A Few Daze Back & I Suppose A Lot Has Happened... Uh, Around The Mean Old World, and even in my own meager lil' whirled...

Pay Attention, As This May Be Your Only Communication With My Lil Azz For Awhile...

This is mainly cuz my phone was absconded by Richmond bound ghetto rapscallions at around 3:30 am Saturday Morn in downtown Oakland. I tried in a futile effort to get custody back, but after a cash for my hostage phone situation deteriorated into furtive negotiations, I decided to just turn service off and get a new one at a later date when I have time...

and time is hard to spare lately...

Currently this broadband cast is
Coming At Ya From The Top Of LA... courtesy the 13th floor elevator of a Marriott just off the freeway... plus it's filled with thousands of conventioneers here for some sort of school nutritional conference...

basically it's salesmen from the various canned crap & meatpacking industries, and a gaggle of overweight lunch ladies. Think midwestern cafeteria menu maker types piling in and out of minivans and shuttle bussses...

Depending on the time of day, ya might catch me hiding out on the deck or in the pool pictured on the right... Ironically I'm reading the new paperback edition of a book called "Diet For A Dead Planet" that all these idiot instituitional food prep mavens should be checking into more than myself...

Of course by the time you read this, I might actually have just relocated to Culver City to escape the expanding presence of the cafeteria clan...

But little did I know my next hotel is a vortex of a different sort...

In actuality it turns out the hotel I've just blindly booked va Priceline, is owned by the notorious Carlyle Group... and is apparently well known amongst game show contestants...

I'm not sure if Gong Show king Chuck Barris' reputed CIA ties have anything to do with this, but at least Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune are known to put their future losers up here... and now me, the ultimate loser...

(at least of cell phones...)




The last thing I did on my cellphone in the wee hours of Saturday was take this picture and fortunately I managed to send myself a copy...



I was helping out at Valley Schwag 3, a fab event where I served hundreds of Speakeasy beers, cases of vino and many gallons of various whiskeys to the delighted dot com masses who gathered South of Market for this party....






A company called EventMagic I co-founded with my pal Eddie that provides event services and has branched out via Ed's new CustomScenic.com division to build props & whatnot was responsible for providing the handpainted backdrops and western style atmosphere that lended a lil' saloon feel to the funky festivities...







Since I was too busy annointing the thirsty with beverages to take many images, here's some more proof via pix on found on Flickr including many by by Scott Beale of the always amazin' Laughing Squid...


As the pictures might tell, It was a full on festive occasion, the way I like 'em, but damn it was busy...

and just when I would think maybe I might get a chance to rest from pourin & mixin, maybe to get a bite of some of those tasty Askew Grill kabobs or perhaps just piss, another busload of folks would show up...literally

and then I'd have to put it all back in gear and get that boze flowing even faster to meet the insatiable schwagaholic thirst...



















here's a song that woulda been good on the soundtrack at Valley Schwag... from a release on the always obscure way cool Numero Group label...


Fern Jones - Strange Things Happening Every Day


In a few hours I'm heading to the ridiculously early industry screening a theater of the documentary American Hardcore. This film played Sundance earlier this year, and was based on a book written by former East Coast punk concert promotor Steve Blush who worked with bands like Bad Brains, Minor Theat, Black Flag in DC & NY.

From the trailer I anticipate lots of grainy old transferred video footage of 80's dudes with short hair running in circles & banging into each other, while bands good at playing blistering riffs while screaming provide the soundtrack. Apparently the director has spliced in clips from hours of old 8 and 16 mm footage that he shot back in the day.

In honor of the school nutrition conference going on I'll toss in some nutritious downloads of hardcore classics that are packed like tasty time capsules of gnarly nutritious chewy goodness and feisty food for thought...

Here's a classic hardcore cut from an album celebrating it's 25th year with a new DVD documentary called Fresh Fruit for Rotting Eyeballs that's packaged with the CD. It's all about the making of the album. From "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" here's the incomperable DK's.

Dead Kennedys - California Uber Alles

and a few more hardcore hits, (as if there were any...)

Black Flag - Black Coffee ( 1982 Demo)

Circle Jerks - Paid Vacation

here's a speacial blast from my old housemate Dave "Dead Cops" Dictor for all the nutritional experts out there reading today

MDC - Corporate Deathburger

Anyhow, I guess Sony Pictures Classic division is in on the American Hardcore Movie distro now and is getting the flick primed for a theatrical release in New York & LA in late September.

The screening I'm attending is some sort of media & industry type pre-release prequalifier to get eligibility for the potential awards circuit or something...

Anyhow since it's 4:30am already and I gotta be there & still manage to sleep , shower & check out of this corporate glass tower in less than 5 more hours... better go...

p.s

If ya wanna get down and party with me again soon...my B Day is coming up and the party is Wednesday...


Wednesday, July 19
A Rock and Roll Stomp & Benefit
for Junipero Serra Elementary, SF

Sweet Crude Bill & The Lighthouse Nautical Society

with our magnificent, indefatigable allies:
The Jank & Tiny Power

mutant master of ceremonies
M.C Lil Mike

at The Elbo Room
647 Valencia St.,
San Francisco, CA
9pm

Show some support for the kids! Cover is $5-$20!
All band door proceeds will go directly to the way underfunded school.

More details for y'all soon !!!

p.s here's a teaser track from Sweet Crude Bill
Sweet Crude Bill - Satan Is The Pilot On Airforce One

No comments: