Thursday, November 10, 2005

Enable me this

Last night I was heading out the door for the first show I've sang original material at in literally 15 years... so I was listening to some windbag lecture his students while I couldn't wait to get a beer on... and calm the ol' nerves...

threatening to be heckling me in big payback mode was Pete Simonelli... who won his tickets on KALX he told me circa bar closing time early that same morning...

Pete actually showed up, but was polite, and was very well behaved... quitely listening to some fine acoustical music from folks like J Neo & Ed's Remaining Qualities...

He was so well behaved in fact that he didn't even take me upto join me on my late night drinking binge, which resumed at the 500 Club after the gig at The Rickshaw Stop... Pete mentioned something about getting some "rest", a strange scientific theory which I seem to know less and less about...

I figured I had to squeeze a lil post gig nocturnal mayhem in, since I'll be busy a lot this weekend...

In the next 24 hours I might get the last real sleep I'll see fora few days..after I get out of work at make a wedding rehearsal dinner at McCormick & Kuletos at Ghiradelli Square...
.

oh well...could be worse duty, like waking up to go buy a tuxedo, and get to the actual wedding by 3:00 p.m and then DJ the reception until the wee hours...


which is a party going down at one of SF's finer residences...

Front of Mansion at night



Gallery with staircase and artwork

then after the hoopla I somehow gotta be up circa 6 am so I can make it to my 8 am work gig...which 9 hours later leaves me time to get to my , egads bartending gig... yikes !

So in honor of my busy schedule here's a rehash of a portion of a posting from a while back where I explored Pete's band, the Enabler's shtick in vague detail, all cuts featuring Simonelli's stylistically trademarked vocal exorcisms ...

plus, as a bonus, check out the new unreleased mp3 from a recent show the band did on WFMU in Jersey awhile back...

First there's a triple threat of darkly atmospheric .mp3 tracks with haunting narratives from SF based band thee Enablers.

These are from their debut release

Enablers - Glimpses, Audio: Driving Late

Enablers - About Last Night

Enablers - Pauly's Days In Cinema

The band is a lanky erstwhile pedigreed bunch featuring dudes who've done time in The Swans, Toiling Midgets, Tarnation, Nice Strong Arm and TimCo. The musician's instrumental skills work the room, scrape, tug, yank, build high tension wire strung platforms that arise behind the dry babbling wordsmith up front. The band members honed themselves for over a year, performing as "Touched By A Janitor" before finding the meandering maintenance man of their dreams.Pete Simonelli circa summer 1998 That would be vocalizer Pete Simonelli, a character I've long referred to as the world's youngest grumpy old man...

But, with two tours of duty overseas completed, all the stage time has lifted our irrascible neighborhood bartender/poet into a league of ranters and ravers ala Saccharine Trust's Jack Brewer, but perhaps shy of the show biz big leaguers like Jim Morrison & Hank Rollins and the mighty Nick Cave...

Enablers page at Neurot...

here's a bonus MP3 from their live on WFMU set...

Once again the mighty Mike Lupica knows how to pick 'em... and gets the band into the studio on his show this past September...

Enablers - For Jack (A Phillipic) MP3




anyhow, enjoy the tunes... life's good and I gotta get my butt going y'all...

a couple more classic tunes for the road...

The Knack - Good Girls Don't

Curtis Mayfield - Keep On Keeping On ( Curtis link courtesy Of Mirror Eye)


No comments: